Monday, June 9, 2008

My First...and LAST

This past Saturday was Draper Trails Day. Ian and Judy (Ian's mom) were pretty excited for this race and were looking very forward to it-they both LOVE trail running. Me, on the other hand...I wasn't so sure what to think...it was a COLD morning, I have NOT trained very well, and I was REALLY tired from a crazy week! I was excited, but a little nervous as well, because this was my first race of the "season."

We got to the Equestrian center signed in, got our numbers, shirts, and goodie bags, and went to the car to sit, and attempt to get warmer. Before the race, I was debating what mileage I was going to do...you could choose between 4 miles, 6 miles (which ended up being closer to 7 miles) 10 miles, and 15 miles. I hadn't completely decided, but the race started, and I soon found myself running up a mountain-about to DIE!!! One of my old friends, Amelia Daw was there, and we started running together, but she left me in the dust! When I was near the top, I decided that I was going to be a baby and just do the 4 miler. My heart rate was SO high, I was getting a side ache, and was thinking---everyone who thinks running is miserable--they are right! Well, my heart rate came down, things got better, and I finished the race....

I got a pretty decent time-43:27 and felt really good at the end. Well, 20 or so minutes later, they started to announce the winners---and guess who got 1st place in the Women's 4 miler ages 17-30....you guessed it! I won the money! I was SO surprised...I even asked the lady,"Are you sure I WON?"

Sure enough, it was me---I got $25 out of it, and came to the conclusion that SOMETIMES it DOES pay off to be a wimp! (Note: I need to clarify. I am only calling myself a wimp because that is what I was being-I could've done more, but I chose to be a baby. I don't think anyone else is a wimp for any reason-Just so you know!)

Anyway, that was my FIRST time ever winning a race-and I can almost guarantee it will be my LAST! Usually I am a very average runner-but Saturday I had an advantage. Not many people showed up!

Oh yes, Ian and Judy both did VERY well! Judy ran the 6 miles in about 1 hour 10 mins-and SHOULD HAVE won (they didn't break up the ages very well-her category was 31 and older--which isn't very fair for the older ones) That is FAST!

Ian-I am VERY proud of him! He was amazing and did the 15 miler-in an excellent time! He ran it in about 2 hours 30 mins-reducing his time by 30 mins from last year! That is HUGE!!!

He took 2nd place in his category and also won some $$$!!!

It was a good day!

These pictures are actually from last year---I found them online--kind of scary thinking what kind of BLACKMAIL people might have!!! Anyway, I wanted to post pictures because my blogs have been boring-so until I get the pictures off Judy's camera-here are some to look at!

4 comments:

Katie said...

That's awesome Kristin! Great job! Yeah, I won't be winning any $ for running anytime soon, if ever. :) I don't think you're a wimp at all. I was actually thinking that the 4 mile race was maybe even more than I'd do. :) Good job to Ian and his mom too! You're amazing! We're excited to see you soon!

kallina said...

High five! holy cow thats awesome! thats about 3 1/2 more miles than I can run now haha. we need to hang out again!

Jade said...

You didn't tell me you had run or won a race!! Congratulations! You are much better than me. I went running yesterday for the first time in two weeks and almost died ... I probably shouldn't have decided to do 10km. haha.

Laura said...

GOOD JOB! (I told you this earlier, but I wanted to comment on your blog so you felt "loved".) :) That would be fun if you came out for Gavin's graduation! If not, we'll see you soon after!