Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A watermelon...explosion???

Last Tuesday night, after a long day of work, and after a stressful night at school (I took a REALLY hard quiz-it was more like a test I must say) I came home to something I have NEVER come home to before---a watermelon mess!!!
I still am not quite sure what happened. All I know is that it smelled REALLy wierd in my apartment, I was standing in 2" of watermelon juice, my kitchen table had a puddle on the entire thing (except for the one part I had a baby present on-thank goodness!), and that my carpet was saturated with stuff.
I was very thankful for my lovely neighbor Jess, who came and saved me from having a breakdown. She helped me be able to laugh about the whole disaster, and also helped me clean up the sick mess.

I guess sometimes you just have to learn things the not so fun way-

So, for all of you who never realized you are supposed to refrigerate your watermelon (even though the stores don't keep them cold, nor are they cold when they are growing in the ground!) now you know what could happen!!!
Oh yeah, and my apartment still smells wierd-even though I have scrubbed the carpet and the floors numerous times, so please, if any of you have a special "trick" I would love for you to share! I am sick of smelling stinky sock smell when I am sitting on the couch! Thanks!

6 comments:

Meredith said...

That is SO crazy! I've never heard of that before!! I bet that was one nasty mess to clean up! A stinky mess for my stinky friend... Just kidding. =D

Jade said...

Haha ... I can't believe your watermelon exploded. I'm glad you thought to take some pictures. That is so crazy.

kallina said...

What the? that's too bad! maybe you got the one bad watermellon of the barrel/patch. I like the pic of the deflated watermellon skin.

Katie said...

That's one crazy watermelon! It totally does look deflated. I think that's my favorite pic- it makes me laugh. :) I hope it makes you laugh too now that it's over.

Alison said...

That sounds like quite the water damage from such a little melon! Did it perhaps soak into the carpet foam pad underneath and therefore perhaps beginning to moldeth and stinketh?

Unknown said...

I just had a watermelon explode... my whole house stinks and i've spend 4 hrs so far removing the juice from the carpet. I've gone through a few rolls of absorbent paper after the tea towel stopped picking up sock-smelling juice. Did you ever work out how to get rid of the smell? yuck!
I'm tempted to set up a tent on the balcony to escape the smell.