Saturday, May 1, 2010

A change, change will do ME good....

No...I am not a big fan of Sheryl Crow, but this song has been in my head a lot lately.....and this is why:

Over the past couple of months, I have been thinking about my diet and the foods I eat. Up until now, I haven't ever cared all that much about the things I eat. I eat what I like, whether it has nutritional value or not. I eat whatever sounds good. I eat what's convenient. I'll even admit this one...I eat what's cheap. :)

For the past, let's see here...coming up on 5 years...my diet has been terrible! Ever since I got home from Russia (and actually while I was there! ) I have just eaten whatever---and whenever. I eat always--when I am hungry, when I am not hungry, when I am stressed, when I am bored, when something looks too good to resist, just because, when I crave something, when I am mad, when I am happy, when I am annoyed, when I am sad....you get the point. (And I understand and know this is normal for a lot of people and I believe it is part of being human---it's what we do.)

MOST of my days in these past years have gone something like this:
*Wake up, skip breakfast
*Get to work, and shortly thereafter find candy to eat for "morning snack"
*Eat lunch (sometimes somewhat nutritional, other times not one bit) with a can of Dr. Pepper or sprite
*Eat a sugary treat with or immediately after lunch
*Find more more candy or treats to eat for "afternoon snack"
*Come home and eat something quick and easy for dinner (usually something already made that you dump from a can or box) because its easy and I DON'T like cooking!
*Sit on couch or bed while eating desserts (yes, plural) until up to 11:00 at night
*Go to bed
*Repeat next day

My attitudes have reminded me of these quotes I found:


"A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand"

"I KEEP TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT BUT IT KEEPS FINDING ME."

"I GAVE UP DESSERTS...It was the worst twenty minutes of my life."

"I ONLY EAT IN THREE PLACES: HERE. THERE. AND EVERYWHERE."


After MUCH consideration, research, reading, studying, telling myself I can do it, and now finally having a sincere desire to do it (oh yeah, and singing this line of Sheryl Crow's song in my head to myself), I have decided that starting today, May 1st, my eating habits are going to change significantly.

It's taken me YEARS to get to this point. The two main reasons that have kept me from doing it are 1-because I didn't care and 2-I was NOT ready to do it. I didn't want it to be something that just lasted for a short amount of time, because for me it needs to be a lifestyle change.

But now I feel ready to care. I feel ready to want to eat healthier. I feel ready to accept that it is going to be a lifestyle change. I feel ready to get over my sugar addictions! I feel ready to not only do what's convenient.

I know its going to be HARD---but I also know it will be beneficial in the short run and the long run, and that is what's motivating to me.

I will say that May 1st came up way too fast...we still have too much junk food around the house. But Ian will take care of that and enjoy it for both of us! :)

And with that---here's to a change that will do me good! Thank you all for reading...

9 comments:

Gavin said...

Good for you, Kristin! I am a sugar-holic too... I've been trying to eat less sugar for a few years now, and little by little, it has gotten to be less and less. Holidays don't count. :) But normally I just let myself eat one sugary thing after dinner. And usually that is it. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but it feels good to be in control most of the time. Before I wasn't in control. I also have found myself buying the "nutritional choice" when at the grocery store-- ie. buy whole wheat bread or pasta instead of white, turkey instead of hamburger, etc... I also eat a lot of salads -- they can be SOOOO yummy... just grill a bunch of chicken one day and buy the pre-washed salad, some good salad dressing, and whatever other veggies and toppings, and wall-a, a good, nutritional dinner that is easy and quick and yummy. You can switch it up by using mandrin oranges and sesame dressing one night, taco salad one night, etc... Sorry this comment is so long! I am going to stop now...

Gavin said...

It's Laura, not Gavin, btw... hahaha

Katie said...

Way to go Kristin! (I thought at first that Laura's comment was Gavin... ha ha!) I'm with you & Laura. Sugar is too tempting for me. You already know what we do so I won't give you any more advice, but to say that the first few days/weeks/even months may be tough to stick it out, but if you do, you'll feel better and even more energy. Good luck! & BTW, your food from your veggie co-op looks yummy. :)

Becca Bingham said...

This is awesome! I'm working on the less sugar thing too. I've done good at certain times in my life like pregnancy and right after delivery, but have gone off the deep end recently. It's a hard battle. I always have to find sweet things that are naturally sweet to feed my cravings. The first set of days are really hard because your body is so use to having it! Good luck!

Jules P Hansen said...

Well I will be honest, I was expecting you to say you were pregnant from your previous "change" post and didn't think it was about a new eating habit at all, LOL

This is great though, I have been meaning to try and do the same thing. I guess I need to follow you and just set a date and DO IT instead of thinking about it while I am eating all my treats!

Lindi said...

Way to go Kristin!! You can do it!!

kallina said...

Yay!!! good for you! I'm excited for our green smoothie class tomorrow! I think it will be very motivating!

Unknown said...

yes i will make sure to buy and get and eat what ever candy is in the house just for you and only because i have to! also i was just about to pick up the phone and call gavin and ask him what had gotten in to him at first glance. good work smoothie master

Prettypics123 said...

Kristen, How is it going? I can totally relate to your situation. I have done Weight Watchers before and found it to be a great support for me. But I can't affort it now. So I walk every day for a minimum of 30 minutes (I walk my dogs). And my first goal is to only eat one desert/sweet thing a day. Then I will go from there. Walking is easy for me. One desert, not so.